Wednesday 4 September 2013

10 things I learned running my first ultra

Well it's been ages since the Clyde Stride and I've had a decent amount of time to reflect on the experience. I'm sure I learned plenty.

1. Sometimes it is hot - this will make you run slower unless you are Moroccan. Having done some research apparently no matter how I train I can't become Moroccan. This means when it's hot I need to adjust the plan accordingly. The sun had made it's point pretty firmly in the race before I realised this, I should have twigged sooner.

2. 40 miles is a long way - it really is, there is no real way to appreciate this without doing it.

3. Reconnaissance pays dividends - I'd recceed the course. This saved me worrying about where to go, and gave me a better understanding of what is to come. Plus I didn't waste time or effort running any extra miles.

4. It's easier to run with someone - in the last half of the race pretty much all of the best running I did was when I had someone to run with, or was leapfrogging someone. All of the worst bits were when I was on my own. Trying to run with others even if you can only hold on for a bit is worthwhile.

5. Freezing things - On a hot day freezing the water and where possible food in my drop bag was the single best idea ever.

6. Rehydrate carefully - I found that a can of strongbow at the finish helped replenish my alcohol levels which had depleted during training and dropped alarmingly during the race.

7. Shade - There is no point sitting down at a checkpoint in the blazing sun. Find some shade.

8. Get things ready - My dad was taking the piss a bit the night before when I was wondering round the house in a panic preparing drop bags and clothes and telling him and Mrs T over and over what the plan was, and giving them little print outs telling them the planned split times. But this all helps ensure it is right on the day and gives you  confidence everything has been done. I'd be more chilled next time round but it really felt like a trip into the unknown.

9. Don't leave your finish line drop bag at the finish and have to run back to pick it up.

10. If you're ever passing, the newsagents in Kirkfieldbank does a mean tropical flavour ice pop. Just the thing on a hot day and a strong contender for the best 10p I ever spent.

It still feels like a weird thing to have done. It didn't have the same emotional intensity as my first (and so far only) marathon, and while it was immensely satisfying to finish there were no tears, just a relief it was over and a great sense of satisfaction. It certainly gave me more belief in myself and is an experience I'm keen to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stuc a' Chroin race 2018

When I typed the title it was autocorrected to Stuc a chronic, it felt somehow apt. The thing was I thought I'd be OK at this. I'd...