Friday 11 October 2013

Why I'm going to do better in this marathon than last time

A nice positive title, but there are a number of reasons why this is true. So in no particular order...

Experience - I've now done a marathon (and an ultra) so this isn't the big step into the unknown that it was last time. I know what 26 miles feels like, I've done it twice in races and once in training, and whist I wouldn't say it holds no fear I know what I'm getting into.

Distance training - As a result of running the Clyde Stride in July I've done a lot more distance training and have a lot more long miles in my legs. Last year I ran 18+ miles three times in the run up to the marathon. So far this year it's been nine times (plus one race).

Speed training - I tried last year but I was a bit unstructured and found this hard to do on my own. This year running with the club has helped with weekly tempo runs and interval sessions which have undoubtedly made me run faster.

The route - Preston was hardly UTMB but it was undulating in places. York is mostly very flat. Also I've reviewed the route in full on google streetview so I have a better idea what to expect.

The weather - I may be tempting fate here but it would struggle to be worse than Preston. Preston was so bad that it has mentally scarred everyone I know who ran it except for me. York will be better, and hey if its not I know I can run a decent marathon in the wind and rain.

Weight - I'm certainly a couple of pounds lighter than I was last year - less to drag around the course with me.

Having a garmin - I didn't have one last year so was tracking the run on my phone, which was in my pocket and wasn't giving me the same kind of real time info a garmin provides. If things are going well, knowing that this is the case will provide positive reinforcement and make me faster.

Peer pressure - I know a lot more people running this time, and am keen to beat some of them, last time I was more concerned just to finish.

Goals - Last time my main goal was to finish, although I was always fairly confident this would be under four hours. This time I'm a bit more focussed on achieving my potential timewise (which is nothing stupidly fast 3:30ish).

Nutrition - I ran out of energy a bit last time towards the end, this time I will eat a bit more which will hopefully mean I feel a bit stronger later on.

Belief - I believe I can go faster and run stronger in the Yorkshire marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stuc a' Chroin race 2018

When I typed the title it was autocorrected to Stuc a chronic, it felt somehow apt. The thing was I thought I'd be OK at this. I'd...