Tuesday 2 July 2013

A great big helping of reality check

I went for a run with my local running club tonight. This is something I've been meaning to do for a while and not got round to, I've never been in a club before and wanted to get an idea of what its all about. I'm also keen to have things to keep motivation going for after the Clyde Stride.

If you run on your own it's all very easy to think you're great. You're faster than all your mates who do the odd 10k or nothing at all, and are very impressed by your ability to string a few miles together. It's quite easy to get carried away and enter an ultramarathon, all you need is £18, a computer and a boundless sense of optimism. It's easy to turn up to a running club thinking "I'll be fine, I'd be a asset to this club"

It wasn't quite like that. Everyone was very nice, but also very fast. Comfortably cruising along at 7 m/m pace. I held on for a while but with a big race looming dropped off after 6 miles and found my own pace.

Keen to go back - can only get faster I think. But will have to wait. Tapering properly next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stuc a' Chroin race 2018

When I typed the title it was autocorrected to Stuc a chronic, it felt somehow apt. The thing was I thought I'd be OK at this. I'd...